A Virtual Private Network (VPN) enables remote users to communicate confidentially over a public network – i.e., between a public Internet connection and the State of Utah network.
DTS provides two methods for State employees to connect to the state network:
provides a convenient solution for State employees who occasionally work off-site, and, for those who access state IT resources from public facilities or kiosks. This option also provides temporary access to restricted State applications for vendors or contractors. Web VPN uses SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) to secure traffic between a remote computer and restricted State IT resources.
provides a robust solution for power users who work off-site on a regular basis. It provides the same level of access to State IT resources as if the users were connected at their offices. The VPN Client is desktop software that secures traffic between a remote computer and restricted State IT resources—all data traffic is encrypted.
Remote Access VPN establishes a virtual private network (VPN) that enables remote users to communicate confidentially over a public network—i.e., from public Internet connections.
User credentials and all data traffic are encrypted in compliance with IPSEC standards.
Users are allowed access to restricted state IT resources only if they can verify identification at login.
Unauthorized users are not permitted access.
Each user is authenticated to the Utah Master Directory (UMD).
DTS maintains the UMD.
Adaptive Security Appliances (ASAs) provide redundant, scalable network devices that perform end-point security for remote-user configurations. DTS operates and maintains the ASAs.
Solution for Infrequent or Temporary Off-site Users
Authorized access to restricted State IT resources for State employees who occasionally work off-site.
Temporary authorized access to restricted State applications for vendors, contractors and other State business partners.
Features Not Included
Remote Access Connection
The customer must have a remote access connection—e.g.,
commercial DSL, cable modem service, public kiosk service, etc.
The user must have Internet service on his or her remote access connection.
Ordering and Provisioning
To order the Remote Access VPN product, please refer to the product request form on the DTS web site.
Note: CenturyLink FTTN and Independent Telcos providing DSL require VPN services.
- DTS will deliver the product described in this product description.
- DTS will provide instructions for product use.
- DTS will operate and maintain Adaptive Security Appliances (ASAs)
- To ensure the security of State information technology resources, DTS may block telecommuters’ access to the State Network when troubleshooting security intrusions.
- DTS will enforce the VPN, State Information Security and Appropriate Use policies.
- VPN Client: DTS will provide instructions for installing and configuring the VPN Client software.
- The customer will adhere to their agency’s policies and procedures in submitting online orders that have been properly approved.
- The customer will obtain a remote access connection—e.g., commercial DSL or cable modem.
- The customer must have a Utah Master Directory (UMD) account.
- Non-state employee customers must be sponsored by a State of Utah agency.
- The LAN Administrator assigned to the customer’s agency will support the applications required by the VPN user.
- The customer’s Web browser must support SSL.
- The LAN Administrator assigned to the customer’s agency will set up the customer’s computer with software required to access the agency LAN and other business software required by the VPN user.
- The LAN Administrator assigned to the customer’s agency will assist the customer with installing and configuring the VPN Client software as requested.
- VPN customers will comply with the State Acceptable Use Policy, the State Information Security Policy and the VPN Policy.
- Windows 2000, Windows XP or Windows 7; Linux, Apple Mac and native iPad/iPhone.
- Web VPN: DTS-supported Web browser such as MS Internet Explorer, Netscape, and Firefox.
- Web browser must be SSL compliant.