Shared Application Hosting provides resources in an Enterprise shared hosting environment for Java or PHP applications. The customer is assigned a unique instance on the server and shares server resources with other users. The operating system and server resources are licensed and maintained by the Division of Enterprise Technology (DET) on behalf of the customer. Each customer instance may have variations of DET supported software configured to meet the specific demands of the application to be hosted.
There are two distinct server environments built on the Linux operating system:
- Supporting Java applications using the Apache Web server and the Tomcat application server and
- Supporting PHP based applications (PHP is an HTML scripting language).
Each environment contains a unique instance of the Apache Web server and the MySQL database. If the customer uses a database other than MySQL, a connection can be made to an external database.
For each production instance a corresponding Acceptance Testing (AT) instance must exist. Multiple applications may be run from the same instance only if the following conditions exist:
- The resources allocated to each instance are not exceeded
- All applications are billed to the same ELCID
- None of the applications require SSL services (applications requiring SSL must reside in their own instance)
When any instance exceeds 90% of the allowed resources for a sustained two hour duration an alert will be generated for our Administrators. In such instances the customer will be notified and will either be required to reduce their resource usage, split applications into more than one instance, or pay the cost of another instance to double the allotted resources. This will help ensure reliability and stability for the applications.
Product Features and Descriptions
5 GB of disk space is included. Before the disk quota is reached, the customer will receive an email warning that disk space must be freed up or order additional disk space within 7 days. If space is not freed up and the limit is reached the application will fail.
128MB of memory is allocated to each instance. Several small applications can run in each instance. If more memory resources are required they can be purchased in increments of 128MB by subscribing to additional instances.
Authentication and Authorization
Optional authentication and authorization support is available through Enterprise Authentication environment. The application owner is responsible for granting and maintaining access to authorized users.
Secure Site Access
Samba is used to access your home and log directories for Apache and Tomcat.
CGI and PERL are enabled by default and your scripts can be placed in the CGI- bin folder. CRON scripting is also supported. Submit requests via the DET Service Desk.
Log Viewer You can view logs using Logpanel by accessing the site:http://domain.utah.gov/logpanel.
24/7 Environment Support
Systems are monitored for power, network connectivity, environmental consistency, and supported by DTS personnel 24×7. Problems can be reported by contacting the DET Service Desk. Application support is the responsibility of the customer.
PHP MySQL Administration
PHP instances have PHPmyAdmin installed by default. To access PHPmyAdmin, enter the following URL: http://domain.utah.gov/tools/phpmyadmin.
Java MySQL Administration
Your MySQL instance will have an admin instance called “DBA”. Your access information will be sent to you via email.
A hardware firewall is installed between the State intranet and the Internet.
DNS services are free and are provided by DTS at http://registrar.utah.gov.
Backup Incremental backups are run each night for the entire server. If you have storage on the SAN, you must order SAN backup separately.
LAMP (Linux OS, Apache, MySQL and PHP) environment will be maintained and patched by DET System Administrators.
Printing is supported using CUPSLPD (Common UNIX Printing System – Linux Printer Daemon). This allows printing to any remote printer supported by Unix printing service. Submit requests via the DTS Service Desk.
Configuration changes or modifications to standard deployments (Tomcat, PHP, Apache, etc.) must be requested using the deployment request.
Assistance and Troubleshooting
Assistance for non-standard deployments and application troubleshooting is available at the prevailing rate for DTS Consulting. Database consulting is available at the Database Hosting Consulting rate.
Application Updates (Deployments)
Customers must follow the standard deployment request process for deployment of application updates, whether introducing a new version or fixing a bug. Nine (9) application deployments are allowed within each calendar month. Should more be required, customer will pay for system administrator time (see DTS Consulting Charge below) to make the deployments.
- Link to Application Deployment form
- Link to Java Deployment packaging information
- Link to PHP Deployment packaging information
Features Not Included
SFTP, FTP and Shell access are not supported (see Secure Site Access).
FrontPage Extensions are not supported.
Application troubleshooting is the responsibility of the customer.
Ordering and Provisioning
An order form is available at: http://dts.utah.gov/getaproductservice/applicationhostingondtsprovided-
equipment.php. If you need further assistance, please contact the DTS Service Desk.
To stop service (Decommission) once the service is operational, return to the above order form used to begin the service. In the Action drop down box select “End Service”. Enter the name of the application, the URL and/or the IP address so there is no question which service will be discontinued. Enter the ELCID currently being billed. After a 15 day waiting period when the service has been disabled, the service will be stopped along with the billing. The waiting period is to ensure no users are dependent upon the service.
- Provide the secure physical facility and all environmental controls for the server and disk array.
- Monitor and maintain the integrity of the network.
- Install and maintain the server hardware.
- Install and maintain the Linux operating system.
- Install and maintain the Apache web server.
- Install and maintain the Tomcat application server.
- Install and maintain MySQL software (this does not include database administration).
- Provide the tools to be used by each customer to develop their own instance of MySQL.
- Provide and install base server software and hardware as necessary.
- Coordinate scheduled downtime with customers through the DET Change Management process.
- Backup the system and source code/applications nightly. The customer is responsible for backup costs for
- data exceeding 5GB.
- Provide Siteminder WebAgent.
- Develop and maintain the customer’s database schema and the integrity of the data for each instance of MySQL.
- Develop and maintain all application software running in customer’s server instance. Customer must develop and test software in a development and acceptance testing environment before deploying to production.
- Development can be done on the customer’s hardware.
- Do not use the production server for development or testing.
- Provide customer support services to the endusers of the application.
- Perform all preproduction requirements required by application including startup scripts, development, and acceptance testing prior to production deployment.
- Troubleshoot all problems originating with the application and/or database connectivity. DET system administrators are available for assistance, but the time they spend will be billed to the agency.