A new desktop application from Google called Drive File Stream will be available for all Google customers on Tuesday, September 26, 2017. Google Drive File Stream is an application that allows Google Drive users to quickly access, from their computer, all their files located in Google Drive. Drive File Stream is only compatible with G Suite Business licenses (Google Apps Unlimited).
In order to have Drive File Stream installed, please contact the DTS Help Desk and submit a request for its installation on your computer. The application will either be installed remotely by the DTS Help Desk or in person by DTS Desktop Support staff.
- The current version of Google Drive for Mac/PC is officially deprecated with the launch of Google Drive File Stream, and starting December 11, 2017 will no longer be supported.
- A new version of Google Drive for Mac/Pc, called Backup and Sync, has been released by Google and can be used either along with Drive File Stream or as an alternative to it.
- In October – Notification messages from Google will begin about the discontinuance of the current version of Drive for Mac/PC.
- Running both Google Drive File Stream and Backup and Sync on the same computer will result in prompts to stop syncing My Drive with Backup and sync. The purpose for this is to conserve disk space.
- Team Drive files will only be viewable (read only) when opened in Drive File Stream. The files will only be editable in Drive on the web.
Please contact the DTS Help Desk for any questions or needed assistance. DTS Help Desk contact information can be found at https://dts.utah.gov and clicking the link Get Help.